Today is the day where Microsoft asks the world for a do-over. Let’s get this straight, this is not a patch! This a complete system revamp!
Sluggish sales, sloppy interface, and a dwindling list of exclusive titles has led up to the newest update for Xbox One. A very large patch, coming in a 1.2 GB! Xbox interviews all point to one thing, which is that this is the operating system they wanted to do from the start, but failed to do so. Many of us remember the rantings from Microsoft at E3 years ago. When gamers were promised these things from the start, and instead we received a Beta system.
Well today is your day Microsoft fans. Included in the 1.2 GB complete system revamp is the new interface that is said to be much “snappier and responsive” for gamers. You also will have your first few titles of the Xbox 360 library available to play on your Xbox One (I for one, would rather see companies moving forward than backwards. But it’s a nice gesture non-the-less). You also get a new guide that focuses on your top tasks, a new store, and more pushes for online media. (List of games for play with backwards compatibility are found below)
What they fail to mention in most interviews with the re-vamp is the Microsoft Kinect. This is the day that you wave good bye to the connect… oh wait you can’t!
In the update you are making half of the functions for the connect obsolete, as all of the hand gesture/ navigation, and sound options for the Kinect are dead. You can still play your Kinect games on the system. This is a sad day as the Kinect was the best piece of hardware that Xbox had and it stood out way above the competition.
List of backwards compatible games for Xbox One:
|A Kingdom for Keflings||Lode Runner™|
|A World of Keflings||LUMINES LIVE!|
|Alien Hominid HD||Mass Effect™|
|Assassin’s Creed II||Metal Slug 3|
|Asteroids & Deluxe||Metal Slug XX|
|Banjo Kazooie®: Nuts & Bolts||Might & Magic Clash of Heroes™|
|BattleBlock Theater||Monday Night Combat|
|Bejeweled 2||Monkey Island: Special Edition|
|Bellator: MMA Onslaught||Monkey Island 2: Special Edition|
|Beyond Good & Evil HD||Ms. Splosion Man™|
|Blood of the Werewolf||Mutant Blobs Attack!!!|
|Borderlands||NBA JAM: On Fire Edition|
|Call of Juarez® Gunslinger||NiGHTS into dreams…|
|Castle Crashers||Operation Flashpoint™: Dragon Rising|
|CastleStorm||Pac-Man: Championship Edition™|
|Centipede & Millipede||Pac-Man: Championship Edition DX+|
|Condemned: Criminal Origins||Perfect Dark|
|Crazy Taxi™||Perfect Dark Zero|
|Deadliest Warrior: Legends||Phantom Breaker:Battle Grounds|
|Defense Grid: The Awakening||Pinball FX™|
|DiRT 3||Plants vs. Zombies|
|DiRT Showdown||Prince of Persia|
|Discs of Tron||Putty Squad|
|Doom||Rayman 3 HD|
|Doom II||R-Type Dimensions™|
|Dungeon Siege III||Sacred Citadel|
|Earthworm Jim HD||Sega Vintage Collection: Alex Kidd & Co.|
|Fable II||Sega Vintage Collection: Golden Axe|
|Fallout 3||Sega Vintage Collection: Monster World|
|Feeding Frenzy||Sega Vintage Collection: Streets of Rage|
|Feeding Frenzy 2: Shipwreck Showdown||Shadow Complex|
|Gears of War||Sonic CD|
|Gears of War 2||Sonic The Hedgehog|
|Gears of War 3||Sonic The Hedgehog 2|
|Gears of War: Judgment||Sonic The Hedgehog 3|
|Golden Axe™||Super Meat Boy|
|Halo: Spartan Assault||Supreme Commander 2|
|Hardwood Backgammon®||Tom Clancy’s RainbowSix Vegas|
|Hardwood Hearts®||Tom Clancy’s RainbowSix Vegas 2|
|Hardwood Spades®||South Park: The Stick of Truth™|
|Hexic HD||Toy Soldiers|
|Ikaruga||Toy Soldiers: Cold War|
|Jetpac Refuelled||Tron: Evolution|
|Joy Ride Turbo||Ugly Americans: Apocalypsegeddon|
|Just Cause 2||Viva Piñata|
|Kameo™: Elements of Power||Viva Piñata: Trouble In Paradise|
|LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game||Wolfenstein 3D|
|LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga||Zuma|
UPDATE 11/12/2015- 3pm EST.
Owners of Xbox One’s have been reporting major problems with the new roll out. Here is a list of problems that have arose as of 3pm today.
- Slower than normal first boot after updating to the NXOE: Allow up to 15 minutes on the green Xbox One boot-up animation before you begin troubleshooting. If the screen doesn’t change after that amount of time has passed, hold the power button on the front of the console for 10 seconds until the console powers down. Wait 15 seconds, then power the console back on.
- Blank tiles in My games & apps: Allow the console a few minutes to update these tiles. To check if the appropriate data has been retrieved, go to Home, highlight My games & apps in the big tile, press theMenu button on your controller, and select Quit. Then relaunch My games & apps.
- Voice controls not working on first boot after update: Users can resolve this issue by rebooting the console. Double-tap the Xbox button to open the guide, scroll down to Settings, and then select Restart console. To confirm the Kinect is working properly again, go to Settings, select All Settings, select Kinect & devices, and then select Kinect. If you see video under WHAT KINECT SEES, your Kinect is working properly. If you do not see video, check the Troubleshooting section to the right, or see Troubleshoot issues with the Xbox One Kinect sensor.
- Can’t sign in due to repeating password prompts: To resolve this issue, follow the instructions at You are repeatedly prompted for your password and can’t sign in on Xbox One.
- Seeing the gamerpic for another one of your accounts while in game: Resave your gamerpic or save a new gamerpic.
- A game or an app may appear to be stuck requiring a content update: To complete the installation of the game or app update, you’ll need to either insert the game disc or sign in to the account that purchased the game or downloaded and installed the app.
- An app may fail to launch with error 0x800705b4 after a title update: Delete and redownload the app
- Disc-based game downloads instead of installing from disc: 1) Uninstall an older game title 2) Or set your external storage device as your default storage location
- Controllers with a 3.5mm port will require a firmware update: There is a new firmware update available for controllers with the 3.5mm headset port. This update should be offered to you automatically. Follow the prompts to complete the update.
- Controller vibration stops working in some titles: Unplug any third-party accessories from the console while they’re not in use.
- Other users on a console with the high-contrast setting enabled can’t display their colour or preferred background: Turn off high contrast.
- High-contrast setting is not applying to the background of the guide:Restart your console. If you’re unable to access the guide, or if the console appears to be frozen, press and hold the Xbox button on the console for 10 seconds, until the console turns off. After the console shuts down, touch the Xbox button on the console again to restart.
- Selecting to use a passkey for sign-in and security can be confusing while in Narrator: 1) You can use a keyboard and enter focus mode to add a passkey and hear appropriate descriptions. 2) You can still provide a passkey with the controller despite the lack of auditory cues.